22 May, 2010

Just one week left; and more Romanian hits!

21 May, 2010. Universitatea de Nord din Baia Mare, camera șase, cāminul trei.

I am due to leave Baia Mare, and Romania, in one week. 30 May is my departure date.  I am now in the midst of winding things down. The university term officially continues into the first week of June, but I've made arrangements to work around this.  Regardless, there is a big public servant strike (including teachers) planned for 31 May, to continue as long as necessary (to protest recent 25% government mandated salary reductions -- and if you knew what teachers made before that 25% cut, I guarantee you'd be shocked). So, in the end, my absence will probably make little difference.

Most days, when I'm in Baia Mare, at least, I tend to eat at least one meal at a local pizzeria/pub called Kroko.  There's nothing particularly special about Kroko, but the food is decent and the price is decent too.  In recent weeks, one of the two regular waitresses has gotten brave and speaks to me in English now.  I've become something of a "regular," I guess, and I've come to feel comfortable in the place (as long as a smoker doesn't sit at a table next to me, that is).  Anyway, at Kroko -- as in most restaurants and cafes in Baia Mare -- there is a flat screen television on the wall constantly tuned to KissTV.  Several months ago I posted links to some of the more memorable videos I've observed on this all-video channel.  And before I go, I thought it appropriate to post some more.  The videos seem to be rotated on about a monthly basis, so for a good month you get a strong dose of the same songs over, and over again.  Here are some that caught my attention these last few weeks:


"Locul potrivit" (Place) by Guess Who.  This video and song has got a tonne of play around Romania for more than a month now.  I'm not sure how this fellow manages to use the same moniker/name as the legendary Canadian rock group, The Guess Who, but the song is a fairly intelligent commentary (as far as I can tell) on the contemporary economic diaspora of Romanians to western EU countries like France, Italy, and Spain. And, after repeated listens, I have to admit I kinda dig the sound...

"Lollipop (Param pam pam)" by Alexandra Stan. This song is pure comedy.  I mean, it has to be ironic, right?!? Sadly, I'm not actually sure the minds behind this song realized they were putting together a 3-minute comedy piece.  It makes me laugh out loud every time -- the images and the lyrics! hahaha....


"VIP" by Puya feat. Kamelia. The constant rotation of this song has died down a little now, but for all of April I swear I heard this song everyday at least once....  Puya's hits of late seem really to be riding on the vocals of Kamelia.  Really I think it should be "Kamelia feat. Puya"....  Anyway, this video seems to be taking a jab at the all-too-popularity of style over substance, particularly amongst younger generations of Romanians...  but maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Besides the more or less obvious messages these songs and video clips may or may not be trying to say about contemporary Romania, the representation of young women in this country still spins my head around. As these video clips profess, and Debbie Stowe in her volume, Romania: Culture Smart! says, there is still an "entrenched view that a woman's chief value is in her physical appearance.... semi-naked women appear on everything from the sports pages to bottles of antiseptic." Not to say such representations of women are not common in other countries, or in the popular music of other cultures, but such attitudes and uncritical acceptance of woman as mere sex-symbol is very much pervasive here.  And while provocatively dressed women may imply a degree of sexual liberation, as Stowe states (and I tend to agree with), "this is not typically the case." Romania is highly conservative, and religion strongly dictates "what constitutes appropriate sexual behavior."  All this to say, don't be mislead by Alexandra Stan and her lollipop....

3 comments:

  1. I have been rendered speechless by Lollipop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First song is, let's say.... pretty smart, although I don't agree with the theme: "We were not born in the right place". Many things to say on that idea alone, but let's move on to that second clip, with the lollipop video, that gross representation of whatever she's trying to prove. If guys find that attractive, well.... nothing more to say. One thing to add, though: it so does not represent Romanian music, not to mention Romanian perception of women. It's a poor duplicate of singers in other countries and cultures. A disgusting and dishonoring one.

    I will send you a list of good Romanian music, played on other TV/radio stations, that at least respect themselves and the audience. We have that :-)

    ReplyDelete

  3. My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Romania and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete