15 March, 2010

Tour stop: Iaşi


A great man and his library

15 March, 2010. Universitatea de Nord din Baia Mare, camera șase, cāminul trei.

On March 2nd and 3rd I visited "Al. I. Cuza" University in Iaşi, the second largest city in Romania, located in the northeast. The train journey was once again very long, but quite scenic, cutting eastward across the Eastern Carpati mountains.

I quite enjoyed Iaşi, particularly it's student atmosphere. Al. I. Cuza University is a focal point, thus Iaşi is very much a student town. It is also the celebrated literary home of Mihai Eminescu, Romania's favourite poet son.

In addition to my lectures and a short tour of the university grounds by Professor Rodica Albu, I was treated to a lovely visit to Galevriile Anticariat on Strada Lăpuşneanu. The proprietor, Dumitru Grumăzescu, and his young friend (an emerging artist from the nearby Republic of Moldova) entertained me with stories of bibliophilism and proudly displayed the smallest books in Romania. I recommend all visitors to Iaşi with even the slightest interest in rare books visit Mr. Grumăzescu.

Later today -- off to Cluj-Napoca.

No comments:

Post a Comment